yum repo

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Jan 19 19:42:45 EST 2006

No, you're way off base.

Extras is not for updates. There are separate repos for updates. Extras
are just that, extra rpms not part of Fedora base.

You should have repos defined in /etc/yum.repos.d, unless your yum is
very old. Your first action, in any case, should be:

yum upgrade yum

In particular, be sure to put:
exclude=kernel kernel-smp kernel-doc

in your /etc/yum.conf, or you'll be wondering what happened to your
Speakup Modified kernel.

he yum FAQ is at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq