newby debian questions

Keith Barrett keith at barrettpianos.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 17:27:55 EST 2006

Hi all,

Really excited I just installed debian.

This is what I did, not sure if I have made some mistakes along the
way.

I got the installation iso from
http://people.debian.org/~shane/netinst-speakup/ and started reading
the debian installation manual.

I wanted to see if the iso had written so I put a new hd in the caddy
and booted from the cd.

I had planned to stop once I got speech and go back to the manual but
just got too excited.  So, Language selection was fine and when I got
to the partitions, I opted for the recommended setup for beginners
(perhaps this is not a good idea?

Next slight problem I have is that when it came to the package
install, I let it get them via ftp and selected the manually select
packages.

This is where you choose between mail server, desktop and various
other choices.
I think I may have gone wrong now as there seemed to be a lot of
stuff installed and I did not get any choices although I expected
them?

Just wondering now about which mail client would be good for a
beginner.  I connect to the internet with a adsl rooter which is
connected to the network card.

Also, any further reading recommendations.

Sorry about the ramble but I am so excited that I got it working.

Keith

- - - -

Keith Barrett
email <keith at barrettpianos.co.uk>