file permission problem

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Mon Jan 16 07:14:28 EST 2006

Adam,

This morning a second similar problem arose with another file in the
same directory. I do a nearly complete backup of one HD to another every
morning using rsync, and those errors only began on Saturday with the
one I reported yesterday, and now today with a second one. No other such
error messages in /var/log/messages.

I am using a system security checker called tiger, and the directory
where the errors are occurring is /var/log/tiger. I am wondering if I
have a problem with the security checker. I would be interested if
another error occurs in a different directory, that would be
informative. I can't completely uninstall tiger since that directory,
/var/log/tiger, now contains two files that cannot be accessed,
effectively locking the directory.

But I could move the entire /var tree, or maybe just the /var/log/tiger
branch of it, to another partition temporarily to see what happens. The
problem files would stay behind, but they are only of historic interest,
and not critical.

One other peculiarity. When I cd to the /var/log/tiger directory and do
an ls with the output redirected to a file, the errors are not shown.
Only when I do ls with the name of the given files. The names can be
only partially entered and tab completion finds them okay, but if I just
do for instance:

ls > /root/ls.out

the resulting file contains no error messages, and none appear when the
command is run.

Curios.

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 08:35:45PM -0600, Adam Myrow wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:
>
> > hhs48:/var/log/tiger# ls check_rootkit.out.8
> > ls: check_rootkit.out.8: Permission denied
> > hhs48:/var/log/tiger# lsattr check_rootkit.out.8
> > lsattr: Permission denied while trying to stat check_rootkit.out.8
> > hhs48:/var/log/tiger# rm -f check_rootkit.out.8
> > rm: cannot remove `check_rootkit.out.8': Permission denied
>
> You may have either a failing drive, or corrupt filesystem.  Do a "dmesg"
> and see if there are any strange I/O errors.  Also check /var/log/messages
> for any similar errors.

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (96% of Full)
But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh