Booting fedora

Roy Nickelson roylee at visuallink.com
Tue Jan 10 20:38:48 EST 2006

I am not sure if this is the exact problem or not but make sure the run
level is set to 3 in
/etc/inittab
the line should look like the following
id:3:initdefault:

HTH
Roy

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, [iso-8859-1] Sérgio Neves wrote:

 Hello,

 My name's Sérgio Neves and I live In Portugal.
 I am a beginner on using linux.
 I downloaded the four cds of modified fedora distribution and I want to
 thanks people who made this distribution possible.
 I have an apollo synthesizer.
 I guided fedora installation process by the instructions on page

 http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/fedora/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

 I choose the portuguese language and pt latino keybord map.
 I choose server installation and when it prompts me to install packages I
 selected everything option.
 My problem is that when I booted linux, speakup stops talking.
 I changed linux system boot to text mode with the command
 /bin/sed -i 's/id:5/id:3/' /etc/inittab
 as the manual says,
 but it didn't solve the problem completely: when I login as root, after more
 or less 30 seconds of login, apollo stops talking, but linux continue to
 work.
 I restarted computer and when it prompts me to enter in interactive boot by
 pressing the "i" key, I did it.
 I make many experiences, starting some services and not starting other.
 I understood that the cause of speakup's stop is the network service (the
 8th or 9th service it ask me if I want to load), but I don't know why it is
 happening, because apollo stops talking only when I login.
 I thinnk, with my poor knowledge, that it is very strange, but maybe the
 network service causes a conflict, i imagine.

 When I started network service, it says that one cable is disconnected and
 to verify it.
 I have internet by usb modem, and I have one network card that I use in
 windows xp for connecting my desktop to my laptop, and in fact, this cable
 is not connected to laptop at the moment.

 Can anybody help me? What's the fuction of network service? And which could
 be the relationship between network service and this problem? Is there a way
 to solve it?

 Other question: what is the easiest way to see if my sound card is working
 on linux?
 I have more doubts, but this email is too long.

 Thanks for the attention

 Best regards

 Sérgio Neves