Speakup Manual-and-other things?

Sean M McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Tue Feb 21 13:15:52 EST 2006

speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca wrote on 02/19/2006 09:35:26 AM:

> I was looking around /proc/speakup  and found a file called "ex_num"The
file
> seems to be empty?  I did a google search for
> speakup ex_num
> I was lead to a 56-page user guide which mentions all the files in that
> directory.  Since I couldn't find an explanation of what this item
> does, I want
> to suggest 2 similar things.  First, I notice if I type
> man speakup
> There is no command.  I think having a man page, especially for folks
who are
> new, would be quite valuable.
having something like man speakup would imply that you could perform some
action by typing speakup from the command line, which you cannot.
> Next, please consider a help system.  For example,
> help ex-num
> A discription of that particular item would follow.
So you would be referring to the help system which pops up after pressing
the speakup key or capslock key + f1?
> Lastly, having more to do with linux in general-and-tcsh
> in particular, is their a way to have tab completion work
> on man pages?  We grabbed bash completions from yum, but even in bash,
has
> little change.  Basicly, it would be great to type
> man and first letters of a program or script.  I would provide a
> matching list.
I wonder if the apropos command would help you in this situation?