Modem not Found

ace ace at freedomchat.org
Mon Feb 6 22:10:10 EST 2006

Hello All,

I have just recently configured my system to dual-boot between Linux
and Windblows.  I have a USRobotics 56K 6510 internal PCI modem that
is controller-based.  It worked well under the default kernel 2.4.29;
however, when I built a custom kernel 2.6.15.2 and attempt to
connect, it says something like
unknown device or command in file /rc.d/ppp/options /dev/ttys4
or something like that.  A friend told me that the modem symlink
doesn't work or something with udev and to tell the pppsetup script
to point to the device.  Well, I did--tried a few of them, in fact,
and still no luck.  I am quite sure I compiled everything into the
kernel pertaining to PPP.  Am I missing something?  Thanks folks.

Robby