ubuntu boot screen timing is buggy

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri Dec 29 21:52:05 EST 2006

Having talked with another linux-competent sighted contact about ubuntu
what he tells me is that on the faster machines there is no such thing as
a 30 second delay as a ubuntu boot screen displays.  In fact he tells me
he has managed to get ubuntu installed on some systems and found the cmos
announcements computers display on their screens displayed slower than
ubuntu's boot screen did on those machines.  Someone didn't take machine
speeds correctly into account when the timer was written for that boot
screen and it's posing difficulties for people with perfectly good eye
sight too.  Sorry to have to throw cold water on efforts put forth to
date, but this is something that will continue to pose problems until
timing mechanisms get replaced by interaction with user/installer type
characters by means of the keyboard at lest as standard booting happens
and once ubuntu is installed a user might make a selection to have ubuntu
revert to the previous time based reboot behavior.  That way the best of
both worlds can be available.