Speakup and software speech dying for no particular reason

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Thu Dec 28 17:18:57 EST 2006

Keith Hinton píše v Pá 22. 12. 2006 v 22:04 -0700:
> Sometimes, with software speech, I will be typing or whatever, and all of a sudden, (for no particular reason)
> that I can find, the speech will suddenly "die." So, I'll normally have to re-launch speechd-up.
> Either that, or sometimes re-launch speech-dispatcher.

That will most likely be due to a crash of some of the component. Could
you, please, after the situation happens, run
	ps -a | grep speech
so that we can see whether speech-dispatcher and speechd-up is running
or not (and so where is the problem).

I understand this is difficult given you have no output from the
computer. But hopefully you will be able to run the command, then
restart speech and inspect the output later.

There is a known bug in the current distribution of Speech Dispatcher
which has been fixed in CVS. We will shortly be making a new bugfix
release. Maybe it is this problem.

> I'm using espeak as the software synthesizer, and I've seriously tweeked a few lines in spech-dispatcher, so that espeak is as responsive as ever.
> And, for the most part it works fine. What interests me is this speech-loss issue.

I'd be very interested in those changes. Maybe they could help other
users too.

With regards,
Hynek