Permissions for /dev/softsynth

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Thu Dec 28 14:23:37 EST 2006

Hello Hynek: Setting up a speakup group is probably a good idea if one
wishes to keep things owned by group/users other than root.  I have
always set things owned by root.root with permissions of 770/660 when
necessary to protect against other prying eyes.  Most often these days
a system is only used by the person that owns it so protection isn't
typically a serious issue but certainly could be in labs and other
places there are more than a single user.  Until now I have allowed
most speakup settings to be changed by anyone except where they are
an option which can damage the operation of the machine if not well
understood.  In those cases one must be logged in as root to modify
them.  This could be considered a security problem but I never really
thought about it that way because playing with the nondangerous
option could be slightly iritating but not really detramental.  From
that respect loadkeys is another example of an insecure program which
anyone can run to change the standard kernel keyboard maps, iritating
if done but not necessarily fatal.

If you're looking for official sanction I say go for it.  I'm an
anarchist afterall! 'grin'

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061