Strange messages

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Sat Dec 23 11:47:31 EST 2006

Judging from that message, it looks like your system is running out of
swap space, or perhaps your swap partition(s) or swap file(s) are
corrupted.  You might try creating and using a large swap file--if
that works, you were running out of swap space.  If you suspect that
your swap partition(s) may have been corrupted, you can boot with the
install CDROM or floppies and run 'setup' to re-set up your swap
partitions (mainly, you will want to reformat them).

HTH, and have a great day.

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 02:39:09AM -0500, dan Murphy wrote:
> Hello.
>    I have a question about certain messages I receive from time to
> time.  Now and then, on any given console I will get a message saying "can
> not handle kernel paging request."  then that dconsole is frozen untill I
> reboot.  If I go to another console and log in as super user to try and
> kill the process, that
> console also freezes.  It's not something that I can reproduce regularly.
> I am running Slackware 10.2 kernel 2.4.31.  It is one of the kernels from
> the installation CD.
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks.

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
...passing through The City of Internet at the speed of light!
COSEC (x) / SEC (x) = (COTAN (x) / TAN (x)) ^ 2