Instant Messenger and Ubuntu

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Mon Dec 18 13:43:14 EST 2006

Hello,
The problem I think you are describing is that gaim will minimise itself
to the system tray (or what ever gnome's equivilent is actually called).
You can prevent this by deactivating the plugin called something like
"system tray" in gaim. I can't remember how to bring the interface back
to do that, maybe a reboot and the first time you open it after the
computer starts. Also it may work if you remove the gaim settings files
(remove the directory ~/.gaim) although I am unsure if that was my
solution either.

If you still have problems, may be say what instant messenger service
you want to use (AIM, MSN Yahoo, etc) as some clients can only connect
to one or two of those.

From
Michael Whapples