speakup debian upgrade kernel success!

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Dec 16 11:07:51 EST 2006

When I tried doing the kernel upgrade to 2.6.17 earlier I made two
mistakes which in turn caused failure.  First I did not use the image
specifically for x86 machines and apparently that image was incompatible
with my hardware.  The reason the reboot was silent that time is that when
grub's menu.lst gets updated, the speakup speech synthesizer selection and
all options following it get stripped out of menu.lst so this time before
rebooting I checked menu.lst and put them back in.  So now the kernel for
this machine is current.