Speakup in GRML

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Fri Dec 8 11:23:57 EST 2006

I actually have two kind of dumb GRML questions, and I haven't joined
the GRML list yet to ask them. Actually, I have three:

1) GRML says that my user account can't execute a su to
root. Specifically, if I type su I get:
Sorry, user davros is not allowed to execute '/bin/su' as root on
dalek.

I've run a GNU/Linux for a long time and never seen this. What do I
need to change to fix this? (BTW, yes, I have GRML on my HDD)

2) I changed /etc/network/interfaces to define eth0 to have a static
IP, but whenever my machine reboots (and maybe at some other time) it
goes and asks my router for a dynamic one. My network definition
specifically says that eth0 is a static IP, though, and if I drop eth0
and re-establish it (ifdown eth0 then ifup eth0), I get the static IP
I asked for. What am I missing?

3) I've got something really messed up somehow. Well, not a show
stopper, but annoying nonetheless. During an upgrade, I got a problem
with a package called open-iscsi which monitors SCSI devices or
something (I don't have any). I can't install it and I can't remove
it, because dpkg tries to start the service and gripes about a module
that isn't there...and I can't determine what I need to install to get
the module so I can get rid of the error and go on with
life. Specifically:

Removing open-iscsi ...
Stopping iSCSI initiator service: iscsiadm: can not connect to iSCSI
daemon!
iscsiadm: exiting due to configuration error
failed.
Removing iSCSI enterprise target modules: FATAL: Module
scsi_transport_iscsi not found.
failed.
invoke-rc.d: initscript open-iscsi, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing open-iscsi (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Starting iSCSI initiator service: FATAL: Module scsi_transport_iscsi
not found.
succeeded.
 open-iscsi

Looks pretty ugy. Where did I go wrong?
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV: Executive In Training!
Independent Watkins Manager #361534

Shop our catalog of over 350 products for your home and health...and
check out our fabulous 2006 Holiday Gift and Entertaining Line!
http://www.tastyshop.net
...And see how a Watkins business can improve your life in our free
Ebook: http://www.tastybiz.com