speakup and ubuntu

Chris Norman cnorman at rnibncw.ac.uk
Sun Dec 3 18:15:13 EST 2006

What I did was:
Go into a console as root. Make sure your box is updated. Go into
/etc/apt/sources.list (I think), and remove all the hash (#) symbols from
the lines otherwise starting with "deb" or "source" or whatever they are,
with addresses starting with http after them, then do:

apt-get install speech-dispatcher
apt-get install speechd-up

Now you can type:
modprobe speakup_sftsyn
speech-dispatcher
speechd-up

My /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf set festival as the default synth
anyway. I always start with the GUI on ubuntu, so festival is always started
to. Otherwise just do `festival --server` or whatever the command is and
then run the above.

I have a start-speakup file which is named in my .bash_login file, the
script looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
modprobe speakup_sftsyn
speech-dispatcher
speechd-up
echo -e "\7"

THis script is prety self-explanitory, except for the echo which makes the
system speaker beep once.

This script has never failed.

HTH,

Chris Norman