dhcp3-server question

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Dec 3 16:26:14 EST 2006

Well, smack me, and call me an idiot, I'm not thinking clearly it
seems. The problem is right there in front of me, and my previous
message even points it out implicitly. You need to specify the subnet
in your dhcp config as 192.168.0.0, and not as 192.168.1.1. A subnet
of 192.168.1.1, and netmask of 255.255.255.0 are indeed an incorrect
combination. You would then define your router as 192.168.1.1 via the
routers option inside the 192.168.0.0 subnet like so:

option routers 192.168.1.1;

So, try that before sending us your config file, since chances are
very good that you won't have to. Sorry for the confusion, my mind
really is somewhere else today I guess.

Greg

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 02:10:36PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Your ip address and netmask look to be correct, to me at least, so
> Tyler is right in saying that posting your config file would help
> someone here determine where the problem is, since the ip address and
> netmask appear to be correct.
>
> To answer your other question whether or not you need a second network
> card, that depends on what you want to do. If you want to hook up your
> second box to your debian box for the purpose of transferring files
> between the 2, then a single network card is fine. If on the other
> hand, you want the second box to have access to the internet via the
> debian box, and you use broadband instead of dial-up to get internet
> access, yes, you will need a second network card in your debian
> box. Typically, eth0 is setup by most people as the outside interface,
> and eth1 is setup as the inside interface, though how you set it up
> doesn't matter, as long as you know what you're doing, and as long as
> setting it up in reverse is more convenient for you for some reason.
>
> If you do need a second network card, and let's assume that the
> outside interface is eth0, you don't in theory need to do anything to
> tell the dhcp server about your eth0 interface. However, if your dhcp
> server doesn't have any config info about eth0, it will complain about
> that in your logs whenever you start it up. So, to get rid of the
> complaints, you'll still need to define the eth0 subnet in your dhcp
> config, but will not want to put anything in that subnet. For example,
> eth0 is the outside interface on my server, and it has an ip address
> of 172.16.1.10. So, in order to keep the dhcp server from complaining
> about not knowing anything regarding my eth0 interface, I have this in
> my config:
>
> subnet 172.16.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0
> {
> }
>
> As you can see, the subnet is defined, but doesn't have anything in
> it.
>
> Hth somewhat, and posting your config file would help us solve your
> immediate problem.
>
> Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org