can't get espeak working with speech dispatcher and speechd-up

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Wed Aug 23 17:49:40 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 09:19, Jonathan Duddington wrote:
> In article <200608230838.01351.garycramblitt at comcast.net>,
>
>    Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I live in U.S.  When I was in grade school, I was taught that
> > inserting "and" into whole numbers is incorrect, especially when
> > speaking money (or writing checks).  "and" should be used in place
> > of the decimal point.    $168.12 should be spoken "one hundred sixty
> > eight dollars and twelve cents".
>
> Interesting.  It must be an American thing then :-)

Yes, but one hears it spoken incorrectly all the time (with the extra "and"),
so I don't think anyone would object if you left them in.

> How should "102", "112", "1002", and "1023" be spoken?  Do any of those
> include an "and"?

No.  "one hundred two", "one hundred twelve", "one thousand two", "one
thousand twenty-three".

I don't feel strongly about this issue either way.  Do what you think is
right.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)