can't get espeak working with speech dispatcher and speechd-up

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 18:39:35 EDT 2006

In article <20060822215800.GA1014 at localhost.localdomain>,
   Gregory Nowak <greg at romuald.net.eu.org> wrote:

> I meant just in general, but some examples are a U.S. accent to the
> English speech,

I don't speak American, so someone else will need to do that :-)

> more voices,

I wonder whether anyone uses any of the English voice variants other
than the standard?  Feel free to experiment with attributes in the
espeak-data/voices  files, as described in  docs/voices.html, and let
me know if anyone comes up with a good sounding variant.

> and I guess support for more languages just to name a few,
> though like I said, I think it's very useable now as is. It would also
> be nice if it were possible to have full numbers pronounced as
> one-hundred-sixty-eight, instead of one-hundred-and-sixty-eight.

That's an easy one!  Here's a modified  espeak-data/en-dict  file (for
eSpeak version 1.11) that says "one-hundred-sixty-eight".  Is that how
you say it, or is it just for convenience with being shorter?

  http://espeak.sourceforge.net/test/numbers_2.zip

I don't expect everyone would want it, but there's a mechanism to have
variant pronunciations of words, or variant pronunciation rules,
controlled by an attribute in a voice file, so I could set that up for
numbers in the next release.