can't get espeak working with speech dispatcher and speechd-up

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 17:14:12 EDT 2006

In article <20060822203724.GA32349 at localhost.localdomain>,
   Gregory Nowak <greg at romuald.net.eu.org> wrote:

> Speaking of that, is it possible to specify the path to espeak-data
> without having to recompile? If not, where in the source can this be
> changed? I'd like to have espeak-data in /usr/local/share, rather
> then in /usr/share.

In the function  init_path()  in source file  speak.cpp (line 157).

It looks first in your home directory, and then, if not found, in
/usr/share.

> The speech quality is very refreshing...

An interesting adjective.  I'd probably use "sharp" :-)

> when compared to festival, flite, and even to the bns.

I'm familiar with festival and flight, but I don't know "bns" ?

> My hat off to Jonathan for such a great software synth, with a small
> footprint, that sill has lots of potential down the road.

Let me know what potential you're thinking of.

BTW, if anyone wants to assist with another language, please let me
know.  Willem van der Wald has done a good job with Afrikaans (well,
probably, really I've no idea how it's supposed to sound :-)