getting a more up to date kernel for debian

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Aug 20 12:22:19 EDT 2006

The latest speakup kernel available is at 2.6.12-1. To get it edit your
/etc/sources.list and add a line that reads: deb
http://people.debian.org/~shane/speakup/kernel/ ./ then save the
/etc/sources.list file. Then aptitude update or apt-get update whichever
you use. Then do aptitude upgrade or apt-get upgrade. Once that's done
you're ready to go for the kernel. It's going to be either aptitude
install or apt-get install and the name of the package you want.  If you
have a pentium 3 like I do, you want to use -686 for the architecture part
of this.  What I got was linux-image-2.6.12-1-speakup-686 and after that
installed I did a reboot since we're still using the old kernel we want to
see if the new one works before wiping the old one out.  I rebooted and
all came up talking with the new 2.6.12 kernel identification.  So I did
apt-get remove --purge kernel-2.6.8-2 and that wiped out the kernel but
left the modules in place.  There might have been a way to clear the old
modules off the disk with the same apt-get command but I didn't know what
the modules package name was at the time so didn't do that.  The
2.6.12-speakup series is obsolete now so far as the debian security team
is concerned but for now it's the most up-to-date available for download.
With kernels I've been told "there is no such thing as a shortcut".
Those can most easily be built using succeeding versions and not skipping
versions since that'show sighted kernel builders usually do it; that way
they have the version just behind this one to compare against when bugs
crop up.