edbrowse

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Mon Aug 14 23:15:32 EDT 2006

For the person who asked where to get edbrowse, there's edbrowse
3.1.2 at www.eklhad.net/linux/app
That's not the download link but you can find links from there. I
didn't see anything about cvs but maybe I might have missed it.

Anybody compiling this on debian unstable (and possibly other dists)
will need to edit the makefile and do things a bit differently from
the instructions in the Readme. You don't need to go get
spidermonkey. You should instead install spidermonkey-bin, libjs0-dev
libsmjs-dev and other packages will probably be installed with those.
then when the makefile has a line with /usr/local/js/src etc. erase
that path and ut in /usr/include/mozilla. The only problem with this
is that there are apparently broken packages and to do this you end
up having to remove mozilla-browser. I don't know if you can put it
back once you've compiled or not; if not, and if you want mozilla-
browser, you may have to figure something else out. You can't just
download spidermonkey as described in the Readme because it won't
make properly; I think it may be a gcc- bug in unstable. You also
have to uncomment the line in the makefile re: libsmjs; you can find
it because the word debian is mentioned in the line before.
Also, you don't do make install; you just copy the executable to the
directory where you want it after running make. All the above means
you don't have to do the linking described in the Readme in addition
to not having to download the js tar file.

I notice there are jsdom.* files in the compilation of edbrowse so
the idea mentioned earlier about handling javascript compared to
elinks could have some substance but I really don't know anything
about this.

--
Cheryl
"Where your treasure is,