debugging an html document is now fun

chuckh at hhs48.com chuckh at hhs48.com
Sun Aug 13 06:42:10 EDT 2006

Karl,

Larry called my attention a while ago to the fact that edbrowse does not
render my download web site correctly, as does lynx and perhaps other
browsers. I decided to try to narrow down the problem a bit before
asking for help with it, and what I discovered is that my index.html
file was full of various stupidities that have crept in over recent
months and years.

Edbrowse would not tolerate those stupidities, although other browsers
evidently accommodated to them in one fashion or another. I used
edbrowse to correct my errors, thanks to the helpful diagnostic error
messages it reports. Switching back and forth between browse mode and
raw mode was an enormous convenience, which I had not appreciated
before.

I think it is a good idea that edbrowse is strict about html code,
although I expect there are a lot of buggy sources to cope with out
there.

Thanks again for a great tool.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (78% of Full)
Only 10 kinds of people: those who do binary, and those who do not.