eSpeak - new release

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Wed Aug 9 12:00:54 EDT 2006

In article <20060809150537.GA9315 at taylor.homelinux.net>,
   Lorenzo Taylor <lorenzo at taylor.homelinux.net> wrote:

> Is the -k option completely gone?

Not intentionally, but you are correct.  It looks like I damaged it
when adding the equivalent SSML support:
   <tts:style capital_letters="icon"> Text </tts:style>

I'll fix it.

> I am also noticing a very rare bug that I can't reproduce on my own,
> but I have experienced it twice while reading text.  It is another
> cut-off bug, and it seems to occur when a word is followed by a comma
> and the next word starts with a.  However, I have tried a number of
> tests to reproduce the bug and I can't.  Basically, eSpeak cuts off
> up to the end of the sentence or the line, whichever comes first, but
> it has only happened twice.  To clarify, I can't make it do it, but
> wherever it does happen, reading the same line more than once
> produces the same result every time, so it's not intermitant in that
> regard.  Wow! I just produced it in this mail.  It seems that the a
> isn't the only problem. It cuts off after the word time 2 lines above
> this one. and resumes at the beginning of the next sentence beginning
> with "Wow".  I just caught it proofreading this message before
> sending it.

I've not been able to reproduce this, even with that passage.  Does it
happen if you speak it by calling eSpeak directly from a command line?
i.e.
   speak -ftextfile
?

Or does it only happen when using speakup or speech dispatcher or
whatever you are doing?  If you can get it to happen with a direct
speak -f  call, tell me exactly what parameters you use (i.e. the -s
value to set the speed, or anything else).

When this fault occurs, does it always omit everything between the
comma and the next comma, period, colon, semicolon, question or
exclamation mark?