[speakup in kernel 2.6.15]

Rylan Vroom blind_man4220 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 7 19:28:51 EDT 2006

Hello, I don't know if this is already an established bug in speakup, and I appologize if it is. I am using debian which installed fine using the kernel2.4.27-2-speakup as provide in the debian package repository. However, the computer is a laptop and I wanted to be able to use a wifi card. So, since I want to run a 2.6 kernel anyway as that is probably the easiest way to install the madwifi drivers and that kernel has better PCMCIA support anyway, I decide to proceed. After downloading and untarring my linux-2.6.15.tar.gz file, and making the appropriate simlinks to /usr/src/linux, I fire up make menuconfig and start going through the compile process. I leave everything pretty much default settings accept to add in PCMCIA support, my atheros wifi driver, and speakup [default synth=dectlk]. After this is done and my config file has been saved, I fire up make-kpkg and start compiling the whole thing into an easy to install deb package using the initrd option since my previous attempts at a speakup enabled kernel did not work without initrd because the root fs wouldn't mount and I wanted to be able to use swsus. Anyway, by the time all is said and done and make exits with a stamp error 2, I end up with this whole screen full of undefined references to speakup_con_write in many different driver files. Can someone explain please how to get speakup compiled in a kernel2.6 branch?