RFB&D Please read even if not a member.

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Sun Aug 6 21:33:51 EDT 2006

I realize this is off topic, but important
Hi Everyone:

      I really do not like blanket e-mails, but wanted an
organized way to share this information with as many people as
possible.  Recently, I asked a list question wondering why the
website for Recordings for the Blind and Dyslexic was so
difficult to use with very basic  speech friendly Internet
browsers, even those more frequented by those with less of a
vision factor in their computing but who were Linux users.  Not
finding an answer, I phoned RFB&D....again I might add on this
subject, but with greater determination.  I went to a supervisor.
      The results were honestly stunning.  One of the first things
I learned, important given some on lists told me they too had
expressed their dissatisfaction with the setup, was that e-mailing web support does not reach anyone involved with the web
structure whatsoever.  The second bit of shocking information was
that none of those I spoke with had even hard of Linux, let alone
Linux Shells, or the two speech friendly java script browsers, E-Links, <the chain> and E-Links.  Likewise they were unaware of
the changes in the Lynx <the cat> browser which makes it fully
functional in all but the most java based, different from java
script,  settings, and even here there can be progress made.

For those who do not know the nature of my testing, as a lifetime
member of RFB&D, I thought I would try out the web setup for
information hunting.  When I tried Lynx <the cat> I got a message
stating that scripts were required, but with no indication as to
what those scripts might be.  So, having a Linux Shell, I tested
the sight with two popular speech friendly browsers, Links <the
chain> and e-links.  While I could at least reach the catalog
page, I discovered that the site would not recognize text entered
into any of the search fields no matter how many of them had
information.
     Armed with the results of my work, I started making calls.
Clueless was an understatement, along with the usual but no one
uses Linux anyway.  Never mind that many cell phone platforms and
hand held or Pda devices use some variation of the Linux
structure, and some even employ the browsers I tested.  Here is
the long and short of the situation.
While RFB&D was unaware of the predicament, they were very
interested in hearing from others, any others, weather members or
not who either regularly used a Linux shell or either of these
browsers, or who might if such were an option.  Frankly they
should hear from anyone at all who understands that a low
graphical interface no matter what browser you use is the basic
requirement for accessibility, and that as a organization helping
individuals expand their educational opportunities, their site
should  be reachable by anyone  even those using what might be
considered to be older Internet technology.  One must start with
what you have to move forward.  Not only are shell services
popular, but many people simply use what they have on hand rather
than spend money they cannot afford trying to play the endless
upgrade game.  For me, the educational  aspect is the most
important.  Like a library, you should be able to reach the
offerings of this service, much the way you can reach the
Gutenberg Library, at the most basic denominational level.
What I am asking everyone to do is this.  I am going to list two
numbers below.  Even if you only leave a message for them I ask
you to call and tell them that a site improvement is needful.  If
you are a member so much the better, or involved with an
educational institution.  Access is never about what works on one
person's system, certainly not about what works on an insider
network that bares little resemblance to what a individual
wanting to  tap into educational information would be using.  I
ask that you call and spread this message around. Unfortunately I
could not get e-mail addresses, odd but true.  Please phone
either or both of these parties.  Do it when it costs you nothing
or next to nothing if you want, but let them hear from you.
Thanks and here are the numbers:

(609) 520-8079, most important as this party is blind and claimed
never to have heard of any alternative technology such as I noted
above.
Jennifer, (609) 243-7603, customer services with RFB&D claiming
that no one uses any of these browsers.

Let's be clear.  With a segment of the population having close to
an 80% unemployment rate, and who may feel pressured not to talk
about using alternative tools that differ from what are supposed
to be used by a "good blind person,"  whatever that means,  is it
not reasonable to insure the greatest degree of access to
educational materials via the computer as possible?

I appreciate your reading this, and thank you in advance for
taking action.

Karen Lewellen