OCR under linux

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Fri Aug 4 19:24:13 EDT 2006

Do you want one that you can use for free or do you mind paying for
it? The main ones that you could use for free are gocr and ocrad. I think
there is another that is mentioned sometimes, but it requires x11 libraries,
although it can be run from the command line (I think this was so because of
the way it was written, the gui and command line parts weren't seperate).
When I last tried, gocr and ocrad were very poor (although that may have
been due to poor setup, but that indicates that they are not just ready to
go, so not very preferable either way).

If you move to the commercial ones, I think there is one that uses the
omnipage ocr engine, so that would indicate it would work as well as the
windows version of omnipage. I can't remember the name of it, but if you
search for it, it does mention in the information that it uses omnipage
engine.
From
Michael Whapples