A thank you note -- Re: OT: Seeking MFC Printer Advice

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Apr 29 10:05:44 EDT 2006

Dear Friends:

Some months ago I sent the note below to these lists. Some of you
responded with suggestions. Your suggestions lead me to acquire the
Brother MFC7820N, and I could not be more pleased. So, I'm sending this
note to thank all of you who provided your sage advice.

By way of comment, I'll annotate my original requirements list with my
experience of the 7820N, now that I've used it for several months.

Janina Sajka writes:
> I've decided it's time for a new printer in my little home office, and I
> need advice on picking the best fit for my Linux only requirements.
>
> Here's what I'm looking for. All suggestions most gratefully
> appreciated.
>
> Price:	Under $500 preferred

I paid approximately $350 and got a $50 mail in rebate coupon.

> Printing Technology:	Laser Black and white (color OK, but optional)
Black and white only. People do like the print quality, including the
quality of copies, very much.

> Interface: Seeking built in ethernet--the more TCP control of functions,
> the better.
The 7820N comes with an ethernet port. I've configured it with a static
ip on my LAN, and route print jobs to this address using ipp://

While the http based administration tool on the 7820N could better
observe W3C specifications, I have found it sufficient. In
fact, I'm happy enough with the web interface, that I haven't bothered
much with the telnet based administration interface. I generally just
use lynx when I need to do something with the configurations.

> MFC Functions: Print, Copy, Scan, Fax send/receive
I've not yet set up scan, but the other three are working well. Most
importantly, this blind user can print from the cli without help, can
fax directly from the 7820N's controls without help, and can copy from
the 7820N with help. In fact, I'm about to add an SFX module to my
Digium card in order to facilitate a dedicated fax telephone number.

OK. I can't do the more elaborate type tasks like enlarge, change
contrast, etc., without help -- but I wouldn't expect that. The useful
point here is that I understand the controls well enough that I can make
educated guesses that turn out pretty usually correct, while someone
whose only advantage on me is the ability to see reads what transpires
on the display screen.

This last point is important. There are many people who cannot grok even
the simple interface of the 7820N well enough to enlarge something by
40% without being shown how to do it. What I'm saying is that I can
start hitting the controls and guide the two of us to success on such
tasks.

> Media and Trays: Seeking easy handling of letter-size plain and
> letterhead, labels, 3x5 cards, #10 envelopes

Time will tell on this one and the following. I've only used 8.5 X 11 paper so far. The
7820N does not provide multiple trays.