eSpeak - number fixes and UTF-8

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 07:30:47 EDT 2006

I've uploaded a new test version of eSpeak at
   http://espeak.sourceforge.net

   test-1.09e-linux.zip  (27.April.2006)

I've included improvements to the speaking of number strings, following
the comments here, but there may still be some peculiarities. Let me
know :-)

I've now changed over to using UTF-8 encoding rather than Latin-1 for
eSpeak's data files.

It now accepts (and expects, unless it notices otherwise) UTF-8
encoding for its text input.  This should make no difference for US
ASCII text, of which UTF-8 is a superset.  For text with accented
characters or symbols such as Pound or Copyright, eSpeak should be able
to recognize whether the text is UTF-8 or Latin-1.