fun with espeak

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 26 10:43:42 EDT 2006

At 08:27 PM 4/25/2006, Jonathan Duddington wrote:
>In article <6.1.0.6.2.20060425151112.01bdaac0 at mailhost.math.wisc.edu>,
>    John Heim <jheim at math.wisc.edu> wrote:
> > Things it's fun to have espeak say:
>
>Someone suggested this as a test for TTS:
[verse deleted for brevity]

Pretty good. :-)

Every time I listen to a book on tape, I start talking like the people in
the book. If I start using espeak a lot, i will probably develop a British
accent.

Espeak does pretty well  with the parrot line and the Bond line but it
doesn't sound much like Winston Churchill.  When I was playing with it the
other night, I contemplated seeing if I could mess with the parameters to
make it do a ppassible  job on the "finest hour" line. That's how much fun
I was having with it. But I realized that would be a ridiculous waste of
time so I restrained myself.