IF Help

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Sun Apr 23 12:49:55 EDT 2006

You were very close for not finding the info in a man page.  If I can
assume you are using the bash shell, then the 'if' command is
described somewhere in the midst of the bash man page (it's a _big_
man page, but lots of good stuff is in there).

I suppose you want to use the output of a command in a comparison.
This means that the command should be enclosed in accent marks.  Also,
you need some brackets, a semicolon, and the word 'then' to complete
the syntax.  Here is what I think you want (note that the spacing
around the brackets is important, as well as all of the punctuation in
the 'if' line):

if [ `date -r $file +%V` -lt $number ]; then
echo It be.
else
echo It be not.
fi