eSpeak - added punctuation and capitals indications

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Sat Apr 22 17:58:06 EDT 2006

In article <20060422181030.GA27801 at taylor.homelinux.net>,
> # Capital letters can be indicated by a sound, or by the word
> "capital", # or by raising the pitch of the capitalized word.

> This seems to work, but when raising the pitch, once the first
> capital letter is encountered, the entire text is spoken as
> capitalized instead of a single letter or word.

That's puzzling. I don't get that here, it only raises the pitch of the
capitalised words.

> Apostrophes in words should be spoken if they are set with the
> --punct option.  When --punct is used without any characters, the
> apostrophe should be spoken just like any other punctuation
> character.  Otherwise, they should not be spoken.

I'm unsure exactly how to announce an apostrophe, which differs from
other punctuation in that it's inside a word rather than between them.
For example, how should it say: "isn't"

Should it split it into two "words",
"isn't" =  "isn apostrophe tee"
"you'ld" = "you apostrophe el dee"
sometimes the fragments may be unpronounceable.

> # 5.  If the text is spoken at a fast rate, should the sound icons
> also # be shortened in duration?

> ...  But if it is a voice indicator like a word or something, it
> might be useful to allow it to play faster if the speech rate is fast.

Playing a recording faster would be tricky, probably needing to run
"sox stretch".  Truncating would be easier :-)

> The punctuation levels should probably be added to the embedded
> commands as well.

Yes, I'll do that.

> It seems that a z at the beginning of the first word of text to be
> spoken is now pronounced with a major lithp.

Thanks. I've found the problem now.  It also affected [v] and [D] (as
in "then").