On the subject of debian...

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 21 12:01:18 EDT 2006

I would say you can *probably* safely live with those warnings.  Some
people I work with would refuse to use debian  because this particular
security feature was absent.  It's a long over due addition.  I haven't
used Red Hat in years but i guess they had the equivalent feature for quite
some time.

Anyway, I never heard of anyone having a problem with a spoofed mirror.