Speakup Boot Diskss for Debian Sarge

Marvin Rush w5mrr at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 17 22:31:17 EDT 2006

When it boots from the cd try
Speakup_synth=apolo
And see of that will work. C u l Marv

Join Lorie and Marvin on www.interactive.acbradio.org for the Folk
connection Saturdays from 18 to 20 GMT.
-----Original Message-----
From: speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca [mailto:speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca]
On Behalf Of Darren Paskell
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 6:41 PM
To: Speakup
Subject: Speakup Boot Diskss for Debian Sarge

Hi.

I have an Apollo II speech synthesizer which I want to be able to use with
Speakup. I have succeeded in getting Speakup to work with it from Slackware
8 and 9 installation media, although I haven't used Speakup for two years or
so.  I have however tested the Apollo and its com port connection
successfully under Dos and Windows. I have as yet no experience with
compiling my own kernel, although this is something I intend to rectify once
I have a working Linux system.

I downloaded the Speakup Net-Install ISO image of Sarge from
<http://people.debian.org/~shane/netinst-speakup/>, and burned it to a cd.
I've tried supplying

speakup speakup_synth=apolo

and

speakup26 speakup_synth=apolo

at the CD's boot prompt, but Speakup does not seem to be able to find my
Apollo. I have verified that the installer does start after both commands.
I've also tried downloading the floppy images from the Debian boot disks
area on the Speakup ftp site. However, I still get no speech when supplying
the

linux speakup_synth=apolo

command at the boot floppy's prompt.

I have tested the CD and floppy on two computers with the same Apollo
connected to the first serial port, with the same result i.e. no speech. I
would like to be able to run through a talking installation of Debian. Is
this possible, and if so what can I do to debug the problem?

Thank you very much for any assistance you may be able to offer me.

Darren