eSpeak - Introduction

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Thu Apr 13 10:52:37 EDT 2006

As far as speech mark-up languages go, ssml seems to be the one that is
being currently used. Speech-dispatcher documentation mentions it in the
section about making output modules. I think if you were to make use of ssml
from speech-dispatcher, it would need to come from a specific module, the
documentation seems to say this, and it seems to indicate that there is a
file with the basic parts of the module written, so that a developer will
only have to add synth specific parts. More information about
speech-dispatcher output modules for developers is in the speech-dispatcher
documentation chapter 4.2 and the use of the generic module configuration
file is explained in chapter 2.

If you would like to see some examples of what a mark-up language can do
with speech, I could send you a sample file from the ETI eloquence synth I
have in windows, and the sound it produces (as mp3. ogg vorbis, etc). Before
anyone says eloquence does not use ssml, it might not, but it will give an
idea of what mark-up can do.

From
Michael whapples