running Speakup on the Mac

Jacob Schmude j.schmude at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 12:25:59 EDT 2006

Hi
Speakup is a Linux screen reader which operates at the kernel level.
Thus, it requires Linux and is not capable of running on OS X (or any
other OS for that matter), it would have to be completely rewritten
to allow this. However, I'd be willing to bet that YASR, another UNIX
screen reader, could be made to work though you'd need a hardware
synthesizer to use it unless support for Apple voices could be worked
in, which is probably possible though using those at the same time as
VO would probably cause the same conflict as most other speaking apps
attempting to do this. YASR isn't as robust as speakup but it can do
most things, and it already compiles on FreeBSD. I'll work on this,
if someone doesn't do it first, when I get the time which should be
in a few weeks once finals are over. It shouldn't be too much work,
as it operates at the shell level itself, it doesn't need anything
from the OS other than to open a PTY to read the output. Would be
nice to have terminal reading automatically.