Starting GRML

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Apr 8 16:15:05 EDT 2006

* Glenn at home <GlennErvin at cableone.net> wrote:

> I have gotten it to work with my DecTalk express, and I have the commands
> for that, but I am wondering if I can get GRML to work with software speech,
> with the same GRML CD?

Yes.

You just have to boot using 'grml swspeak' and type 'speechd-up'
when booting finished.

Notice: I slightly reworked the swspeak feature. grml 0.7 will boot
with 'grml swspeak' as well but will provide some sound output
already during startup. This means you should be able to notice
whether your soundcard works or not already during bootup. And
before being dropped into the shell when booting finished you'll get
a short notice via sound as well. Starting the software speech
support then will work through running 'swspeak'. You can use the
speechd-up command as well, but swspeak is an alias to improve the
zsh setup for use with speechd-up.

Main work on grml 0.7 has been finished, now I'm running some last
few tests and updating documentation and webpage for the new
release. Expect to find grml 0.7 in the next few days on the
mirrors.

I also wrote some documentation for accessibility related issues in
the grml-wiki:

  http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=accessibility

If you have any feedback I'll appreciate it if you send it to me.

HTH && regards,
-mika-
--
 http://grml.org/            # Linux for texttool-users and sysadmins