apple's screen reader (was New Linux PDA For Blind People)

bob bobdodd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 16:21:40 EDT 2006

On 4/3/06, Jane Jordan (gmail) <juanitatighan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, my.  It seems really confusing.  I see a *whole* lot of stuff.
> Not even sure where to start. Oh well.  This is not something I will
> be able to just dive in, I think.
>
> Jane

I did warn you about the learning curve...

To give you a flavour of what Latex can do, here are the template
files for reseach papers published by the Association for Computing
Machinery (ACM). It's designed to have 3 columns of author details,
followed by a title and a two column body with sections for Abstract,
Keywords, Introduction, References etc. It demonstrates layout of
maths formulae if you're interested in that sort of thing. It also
automatically places a copyright notice in the bottom left corner of
page 1. The page is formatted for US Letter.

There are 3 files. The first is the latex file you would write or
modify. The second is a configuration file. The third is the generated
PDF (though I doubt it's "accessible PDF").

I chose the example to show the best and worst aspects of Latex. It
shows the power and flexibility of the tool on a very complex layout.
It also shows how scary it can be if you try. For "normal work", its
much simpler really. Also, few people ever have to create that CLS
file, there are pre-written files on the web that do almost anything
you might want. This one was created by the ACM for their authors.

http://www.w4a.info/2006/backingfiles/sig-alternate.tex
http://www.w4a.info/2006/backingfiles/sig-alternate.cls
http://www.w4a.info/2006/backingfiles/sig-alternate.pdf

Bob Dodd