two expansions of tilde

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Thu Sep 8 20:20:50 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Here is something I just found out that really surprised me. In what
follows I will spell the names of a couple of punctuation marks to
accommodate the punctuation impaired settings of some speakup
configuration settings.

I discovered that both of the following constructions are valid uses of
the tilde in forming absolute path names to a file:

tilde slash directory slash filename

and

tilde username slash directory slash filename

They both provide access to the file, assuming you are logged in as the
user indicated. However, the second form provides that access no matter
what user you are currently, assuming permissions do not prevent it.

I suppose this is one of those things everybody else knew all along, but
I just found it out and thought it might be worth sharing.

Chuck

But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
or you could Jabber me, using JID chuckh at hhs48.com