which program in Linux?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Sep 6 20:59:31 EDT 2005

To be fair it must be recognized that you're asking for more than a
particular kind of communication. To me it sounds like you're not asking
for chat, but rather for chat using some particular proprietary
protocol/format. Such tactics are time honored methods of monopolists.

Consider that 100 years ago you might need multiple telephones in your
home, one from each phone company, to call anyone in your city. That's
right. The early phone company didn't let you call it's competitors
customers.

If that sounds strange, quaint and archaic, there will be quite a few
people on this list who will remember the early days of email when the
customer of Compuserve could not send email to the customer of Delphi,
nor could either of these customers send to a customer of the company
called The Source (which grew up to be AOL).

Can you chat on LInux? Of course you can, text and audio. You can even
set up your own phone company and for a few dollars, or on a per call
basis, interface to every telephone on the planet. Can you do so with
every proprietary protocol someone might try to impose? Possibly, but
not necessarily.

Perhaps, Karen, your association people have never considered how they
are helping enforce the profits of a monopolist. Maybe they might want
to think about that and switch to something that supports choice, not
conformity.