using pio instead of dma under linux 2.6.x

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Mon Sep 5 16:33:44 EDT 2005

Hi all.

The subject pretty much says it all. Under linux 2.4.x, pio was used
instead of dma for drives. Now, linux 2.6.x uses dma by default. I
have reasons for wanting to use pio with one of my drives under linux
2.6.12.3, instead of using dma. For example, the dmesg output for my second
ide interface currently reads:

ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd008-0xd00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA

I want to use /dev/hdd in pio mode, and still be able to leave
/dev/hdc using dma mode. I suspect that using pio mode instead of dma
mode is possible, since there is no /dev/hdb on this machine, and the
dmesg output for the first ide interface reads:

ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd000-0xd007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio

I've looked through the list of kernel parameters that can be passed
to the kernel through the boot loader, and have done some googling,
but haven't yet found a way to use pio for a particular drive. So, if
anyone does know how this would be done, your help would be
appreciated. Again, thanks in advance, and for all the help this last
week.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org