preventing debian services from auto-starting

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Fri Sep 2 04:38:56 EDT 2005

Greg,

To answer part of your question, the default settings for update-rc.d
will probably do when you want to reactivate an idle service. The
defaults will kill a service on entry to run levels 0, 1, and 6, and
start it on entry to run levels 2 through 5. Debian does not treat any
of the multi user run levels differently. No special run level for X,
for instance.

The simplest way to bypass starting a service is to use update-rc.d to
let the system kill the service on entry to all the run levels. Killing
a service that is not running will do nothing. On the other hand, some
services have default files containing an option to run it or not, so
that even if the init script tries to run it, the default file says "no
thanks" and it does not start. One that comes to mind is vsftp.

Chuck