a new and different modem

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Mon Oct 31 21:45:22 EST 2005

I managed with dhcpcd and use of adsl-setup to get the modem where it will
go out onto http://activatemydsl.verizon.net and lynx states I don't have
a local issuer https certificate and offers to download httpschoice which
I have done.  I suppose I'll have to find out how to add the contents of
this httpschoice file to my key ring before going any further.  It appears
verizon.net took down my service so far, or perhaps that only happens
because my machine couldn't present a valid local issuer certificate when
queried by verion.net.  Any ideas for going further with this hook up will
be appreciated.  The weird thing was dhcpcd seemed to come up with
192.168.1.64 for an address but when I looked in /etc/resolv.conf the
nameserver addresses both started out with 199.43 if memory serves.  The
big problem in this area effecting all dsl users is verizon put the phone
lines into a corrosive environment that became increasingly corrosive
because of polutant runoff into the Chessapeake which is only a few miles
from where I live and the insulation is flaking off all their cables.
When pieces break down enough that whole areas are without phone service
is when action happens here and no sooner.