building cvs speakup fails on 2.6.14

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Fri Oct 28 19:37:35 EDT 2005

Rejean Proulx <rejp at gta.igs.net> writes:

> If I patch a kernel to bring it up from 2.6.09, do I have to reapply
> speakup via cvs? Is there something on the site that explains that? If
> I ever get my machine going again, I might as well update the kernel.

No, cvs will not patch against 2.6.9; You willwant to get the speakup
2.0 tar ball to patch 2.6.9.

> Am I better to download a whole kernel copy my .config over and start
> from scratch?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by are you better to do the above.
Do that relative to what else?  Certainly if you are going to compile
a new kernel then starting with your .config from a previous 2.6.x
compile is the best way to start.  However, if you are going to go to
the trouble of compiling a newer kernel then I'd recommend getting a
kernel later than 2.6.12 and doing a checkout against that from cvs.
You will need to do that before I make the current changes though
because once they're finished you'd need to use 2.6.14.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061