Double Talk LT, but no serial port. Where do we go from here?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 19 11:04:13 EDT 2005

At 07:58 PM 10/18/2005, you wrote:
>work with the new laptop?  I.e., have we overlooked the obvious?

Well, at the very least, you'd have to specify the port.   Speakup is going
to use ttyS0 by default and your synth isn't connected to ttyS0. To specify
the port you pass the speakup_ser  parm to the kernel. But I don't think
you can specify a USB port. To specify ttyS1 you'd say 'speakup_ser=1'. So
I don't know how you'd tell it to try ttyUSB0 or whatever.

>Second, if we can't get the Double Talk device to work, do you have
>suggestions as to our next course of action?  We've done a bit of web
>surfing and determined that, as one would expect, there are USB-based
>synthesizers available, although they seem a little pricey, especially for
>a student.  Do you have suggestions for a USB-based synthesizer? How about
>other options?

Dectalk software. It's only $50. Or actually, there are free speech synths.
But the Dectalk speech synth was the best 2 years ago when I purchased it.
That may have changed since.