New to the list

Dave O dave728 at nc.rr.com
Sun Oct 16 14:49:20 EDT 2005

Greetings everyone,

I'm new to the list, and have a couple questions.

I have a spare computer that's not at all busy, so thought I'd install Linux
along with Speakup.  I acquired a Doubletalk internal synthesizer for this
purpose.

I was going to download the modified Fedora distribution, but each file
would take more than a week to download.  So, I grabbed the regular
distribution of Fedora FC3.

Now, here are my questions.  First, what is the difference, specifically as
it deals with the speech aspect.  I emailed the contact on the Modified
Fedora page, but have not heard back from him regarding mirrors for that
distribution.

Second, do I have everything I need to start?  Can speech be invoked during
the installation process?

Next, I also pulled the Fedora 4 distribution, FC4 disks 1-4.  Should I use
those instead?

Thanks for all your help in advanced.  Sorry if I'm asking truly basic
questions here.

Dave