none booting Debian box, but wait

Scott Howell n3byy at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 14 22:23:34 EDT 2005

Folks, here is an update on my non-booting Debian box. Well with
Keith's help, we determined that the box will in fact boot. The
problem is when I have my external DoubleTalk (ltlk) attached to
either serial port, the box will not boot. However, if I remove the
synthesizer, the box will boot. I have no clue what the hell is going
on. I tried a 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 kernel and no joy. Speakup is built
into the kernel and even trying to switch to the software synth isn't
working either, but at least while in that console the console isn't
hungup, but soon as I try to use the hardware synth, it gets hung,
not the box, but can't use that console so apparently Speakup is
probing for the synth and not finding it. Any suggestions are
appreciated and I should mention that I can echo text to the synth
directly by echo words >/dev/ttyS0.
I'm going to go over the kernel again and see if I accidentally
removed something or added something that could cause problems.

tnx
Scott