non-booting Debian sid box

Scott Howell n3byy at adelphia.net
Tue Oct 11 19:16:55 EDT 2005

I know this is my own fault for running sid perhaps, but I sure could
use some help. I can't figure out why my box will not boot. Lilo says
uncompressing image and just hangs there. I tried using the backup
kernel and no luck there either.
I grabbed a Knoppix disc and got into the box. I believe if I mount
the partition /dev/hda1 where the kernel and such lives, I should be
able to type something like chroot /mnt/hda1 as I have already
mounted /dev/hda1 on /mnt/hda1 and if typing chroot and the /mnt/
hda1, I can get into an environment where I should be able to rerun
lilo.
I tried this, but no joy. Has anyone any suggestions as to what I can
do or if I am doing something wrong with the chroot command? I can
only attribute this problem of not being able to boot based on the
fact I recently ran aptget dist-upgrade and then I took the box down
to pain my office and upon restarting the box, it would not boot.
Any advice at this point appreciated. I'd rather avoid reinstalling
everything, but will do so if there's no out. I would gladdly do this
and stick with Sarge if that's what I have to do. Gee and how well
things were going...grin

tnx
Scott