Speakup in user space, why or why not?

Sina Bahram sbahram at nc.rr.com
Mon Oct 3 02:37:33 EDT 2005

Thank you for your  email

Take care,
Sina

-----Original Message-----
From: speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca [mailto:speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca]
On Behalf Of Gene Collins
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 1:58 AM
To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
Subject: Re: Speakup in user space, why or why not?

Hi Sina.  If your question was ment to be philisophical in nature, as to why
Speakup was not originally designed as a user space program, than you don't
get to ignore the issues of installation and bootup messages.
You already know that it's possible to write a speakup like user space
program, because there are other apps out there that do parts of what you
want.  So if your question truly is technical in nature, there is no reson
why Speakup can't be a user space program, except that nobody has done it
yet.

So if you really are after knowledge, tell me what you think you've learned.
Whining about my response to you and calling me names publicly doesn't give
you an out.  The only reasons Speakup is in kernel space  are the very ones
you want to ignore.  Speakup is hiddenfrom all running applications on the
system.  They don't get to bypass it, and having Speakup in kernel space
allows for talking installations, spoken bootup message, and in many cases,
spoken kernel error messages.  If you want to dismiss those reasons, then
there is no reason why Speakup shouldn't be a user space app, except for the
reason of time and interest I have already mentioned.  Go for it.

If on the other hand the point of raising this discussion is to try to
change Kirk's mind about future Speakup design, well, it's possible, but not
very likely.

Remember, name calling is not an exceptable response.  Have a nice day.

Gene