Speakup in user space, why or why not?

Sina Bahram sbahram at nc.rr.com
Sun Oct 2 14:03:37 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I have a bit of a general question, but please read the whole message before
replying to my question.

Can there be a version of speakup for user space, with no modifications at
all necessary for the kernel?

I do understand that this means boot messages will not be read ... I do
understand that this means that installations will not be carried out as
before, and no, I am not suggesting this as a replacement. I simply would
like an application based version of speakup without modifications necessary
to the kernel at all.

Is this possible?

If this is possible, would it then be able to run on operating system other
than system five? For example, I want to learn FreeBSD, because a friend of
mine has been telling me all about it, and I'd like to play around with it.
I would, of course, like to use speakup with it. Could this be possible? I
suppose I'm asking if this could be more possible if SpeakUP lived in user
space, because if worse came to worse, one could always run Linux binaries
in FreeBSD.

Thanks for any advice you all, and I hope everyone has a great upcoming
week.

Take care,
Sina