Routing Multiple Inbound IP Addresses -- How?

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Wed Nov 30 13:20:57 EST 2005

The discussions here seem to cover the iptables commands pretty well
(based on my limited experience with this kind of thing).  However,
once the addresses are translated, how are you routing the packets to
your LAN?  If the translated addresses are not routed anywhere
(perhaps via `route'), then there seems to be no way to make a
connection to the systems.  I am largely guessing at this point (no
flames please), but if no routing has been established for the
internal addresses, then perhaps no connections are actually being
established.  Run `route' from a command line on the machine connected
to your MODEM with no parameters to see if there are any routes to
your LAN addresses.  If not, then route can be used to establish some
as follows:

route add -host 192.168.0.1 eth1
route add -host 192.168.0.2 eth2
route add -net 10.0.0.0/8 eth2