Installing speakup via software synth

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Nov 23 18:14:56 EST 2005

Today I installed speakup w/o a hardware synth and w/o a second machine
(unless you count a network connection to a debian archive as having a
second machine). Here is what I did:

1. Booted via Oralux CD
2. installed base system via debootstrap
3. installed speakup modified kernel, dectalk software, speech-dispatcher
4. modified  grub's menu.lst
5. rebooted

It works! Sorry I can't provide more details but I did not take adequate
notes because it didn't exactly go as smoothly as the steps above might
imply.  I had a lot of false starts and did a lot of backtracking. But
eventually I did get it to work. I hope to start over now that I know how
to do it and will write a howto as I go.

Step 2 is documented here:
http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html

Obviously, step 3  is the real mystery. But basically what i did was scp a
bunch of .deb packages to the PC and run dpkg. I don't think that counts as
using a second machine. It's like a network install.  Instead of scp, I
think I should have been able to do  apt-get to install the kernel and
speech-dispatcher but I got a ton of errors and I didn't know what they meant.

One stupid thing I did was copy kernel and dectalk software to a CD but I
couldn't use it because the oralux CD was in the drive. I didn't even think
of that until I was just about to eject the CD.